Monday, June 22, 2009

Lessons from Sesame Street...

Do you remember the game on Sesame Street?
One of these things is doing it's own thing... one of these things just doesn't belong...

Well, we had a version of that in our kitchen on Father's day! We have started getting eggs daily now but not all of the chickens are laying. The egg on the far left is the first from one of them and it well... IT'S HUGE!!! Having been through childbirth four times I am feeling for this chicken! LOL
We were also able to get about a quarter of our garden in this weekend. I think I will revise my plan for next year but for now we have corn, snap peas, tomatoes, green beans, cabbage, lettuce, yellow squash, peppers, radishes, broccoli, carrots, watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, raspberries and blueberries. By growing a small amount of each this year I hope to find the ones that will do well on a larger scale next year. The berries of course are perennial but on all the others I wanted to see before I go overboard on something that isn't going to grow well.

3 comments:

Into The Fire said...

That poor Mama chicken!! That is a freaking huge egg.

Tam said...

whoa! that's awesome! :) i'll be sure to take careful notes from your gardening experience so i can learn how to do one for next year! thank you for being willing to do all the work for my benefit. LOL! :)

Olson Family said...

I'm thoroughly impressed by... 16?! different vegetables!!! Whoa! How awesome is that! What a great experience for your whole family!

And that egg. Well, geesh, can you imagine the egg-laying conversations going on in the hen-house??!